Thursday, November 17, 2011

*** SAU Official Report Card*** Drake "Take Care"


"all these people really discussing my career again/ asking if I'll be going platinum in a year again/ don't I got this shit the world wanna hear again?/ don't Michael Jordan still got his hoop earring in?/ -
-Glorious Quote from Drake

Drake's new album "Take Care" is on track to be the third best meteor to strike the music industry's first week sales (Lady Gaga's "Born this way" at 1.1m, and Lil' Wayne's "Tha Carter just over a million) at 675k-725k, the question of Drake's popularity among fans is easily answered, but is the growth into one of the most sought after artists in the music industry seen here?

So, With my mental ready for 18 hard shots of the "Drake/40 sound" plastered throughout this entire album with no chaser, tagged with a bunch of "I made it"s and so on, I was pleasantly surprised at the growth zone Drake has fallen into.

Paying homage to his love for Southern Hip Hop on many songs throughout the album, notably zeroing in on the Houston "Chopped and Screwed","Draped and Dripped" or basically "Screwed" sound in creative ways. "Over my dead Body" shows the last 10 seconds sampling a mix of UGK "3 in da morning" as well as ESG Swangin' and Bangin'. (the original 94' version") Other's being "Underground Kings" & "Take A Shot For Me" which sampled a slowed version of SWV's "Anything". This definitely shows the Growth within the creative ear of Drake's camp.

Lyrically showing the need to dodge the "Sophomore jinx", along with showing that yes, Drake has talent in abundance, he hits the maturity nail on the head with songs like "HYFR", "We'll be Fine",and the Just Blaze produced, "Lord Knows" ft Rick Ross. Lyrics like:

I’m hearing all of the jokes, I know that they tryna push me/I know that showin’ emotion don’t ever mean I’m a p*ssy/Know that I don’t make music for n*ggas who don’t get p*ssy/So those are the ones I count on to diss me or overlook me/

Shows this album has plenty of highlights, and a couple lows. One of the major flaws of the album has to be the title track "Take Care" Ft Rihanna. This spacious track shows each and every flaw of both Drake and Rihanna. But the "people's eyebrow" Raises at the bold attempt to slow Juvenile's "Back That Azz up" on "Practice". This complexity has to be broken down in 3 sections:

Drake's singing here...absolutely no, Drake's rapping..Yes, The tempo, melody, and all around track...I'm sorry but No. In my opinion slowing Juvenile's 504 classic and making it into a "Waltzing, dance, black tie affair", is like opting to have your hamburger blended to drink it. Wanna make it better? Take a couple steps back and listen to Andre 3000's verse on "The Real Her".

All in all a blunt explanation is what we get from each and every song on the album, bridging the gap between June 15, 2010 and Nov,15,2011, we get caught up to Drake's version of life and its interesting.


Growth- B-

Production- C

Lyrical Ability- A-

WWA (World Wide Appeal) - B

SAU official Grade- B-

No comments:

Post a Comment